What is Companioning? (Weekend Reading)
This week’s weekend reading is on a topic I had never heard of before seeing this article (8 Steps to Companioning). It is something called companioning. I don’t know all the details, but it appears to be very similar to the idea of mentoring or discipleship. Read through this article from Christian Works and think about how it might apply to your work with kids.
Ideas for Further Thought and Discussion
- What do you think about the idea of companioning?
- What are your thoughts on the observation that “Those we support are the experts on their experience?”
- Do you feel like to you have to have “all the answers” when you work with kids? If so, why?
- How important is stillness and silence in mentoring kids?
- Do you have a tendency to impose your own order and organization on a situation a child comes to you with? Is that a helpful thing or an unhelpful thing?
- What about the idea of “companioning” might change how you minister to hurting kids?