Grief and worry can often leave young people feeling all alone and isolated. The Shield of Strength is a fun craft and activity to get kids thinking about their own assets and other people in their lives that can be there to help them when they need it the most. You can click on the picture above to get a downloadable template for the Shield of Strength as well as the instructions.
Here’s how it works:
- Draw a shield pattern like the one above on a large piece of cardboard or poster board.
- Divide the shield into four sections by drawing a horizontal and vertical line.
- Label the four quadrants as “Family,” “Friends,” “Skills” and “Others.”
- Cut the shield out.
- Write people or skills/abilities in each section that can help to protect you or help you feel better when you’re feeling down.
- Keep the shield as a reminder that you are never alone in the struggles and difficulties that you face.
- Instead of making a large shield, you can use the template on the following page to create a smaller version.