Inside Out Mood Board
The movie Inside Out has been great for those of us working to help kids better understand and deal with their emotions. In addition to being a great movie, it has sparked a litany of crafts and games to go along with it. These crafts and activities can help kids to better understand the emotions they are feeling. The Inside Out Mood Board is one of those activities and is a fun way for kids who like the movie to track their emotions.
Supplies Needed for an Inside Out Mood Board
We originally found this idea on the Eighteen 25 website. We love their mood board, but we made some minor modifications to the one we built. These changes were mainly due to the materials we had on hand and because we like the idea of using a white board. Here’s what we used:
- A magnetic white board purchased from a local dollar store.
- Construction paper (you’ll need red, yellow, purple, green and blue to match the characters from the movie).
- Circular cake boards purchased from a local hobby store to serve as the backing for the character.
- Adhesive magnets to attach to the back of the emotions.
Making an Inside Out Mood Board
- Download and print the template from our friends at Eighteen 25 available here.
- Cut out the characters and title wording from the template.
- Glue the title to the white board.
- Cut circles out of the construction paper the same size as the cake boards and glue the construction paper to the cake boards.
- Glue the character faces to the construction paper.
- Attach the magnets or magnetic strips to the back of the cardboard cake boards.
- Hang the Mood Board somewhere where the child can reach it.
- Encourage them to use the Mood Board to show what emotion(s) they are feeling.