Everyone knows about the tornado that hit Moore, OK this past week. You have all seen the many news articles, Internet stories and news people’s accounts.
I posted an article earlier in the week “Talking to Kids about the Tornado in OK” so I don’t want to repeat that information. I’d like to concentrate on talking to kids of divorce.
Kids of divorce are in general fearful after the divorce. After a parent moves out for some reason the children experience undue worry about their safety.
- They worry the parent they live with might leave them.
- They worry about the other parent if things are okay.
- They worry the divorce is their fault.
- They wonder if anyone will love them.
- Younger children worry if they will have enough to eat.
- Living through a severe storm or tornado seems to be scarier when only one parent is there.