Active coping skills are an important part of Please Don’t Sweat The Small Stuff Coping Tool Box. The Over and Under Obstacle Course is a fun way to help kids deal with difficult emotions and can be a powerful visual reminder that life events can be like an obstacle course. There will be ups and downs, but the most important thing is to keep going.
Setting Up Your Obstacle Course
- Use you imagination. Your obstacle course can be inside or outside.
- If you’re building inside, use furniture, cushions, blankets, doors and anything else you can think of to use.
- These obstacle course also work in an education setting. Use desks, books, doors and other items in the room.
- If you’re working outside, use playground equipment, toys, sporting equipment, leaves, creeks, etc. to build your course.
- Try to make your course doable but make sure it requires some effort on the child’s part.