How is your church doing in meeting the special needs of step families (sometimes called blended families)? Recent government statistics show that in the United States almost 9% of all kids live in a step family (this does not include children living with cohabiting, but unmarried, couples). In his article Understanding the unique needs of step families, Ron Deal explains the importance of ministering to step families.
Ideas for Further Discussion About Step Families
- Do you have any preconceived notions about the families in your church?
- Have you researched the make up of families in your community?
- What steps have you taken to understand step/blended families?
- What do you think of when you think of step parents?
- Does your programming / teaching reflect that fact that many kids are not living with their mattied biological parents?