What’s Your Story?
My mother died days after I turned six years old. For six years, my father raised myself and my three brothers by himself to fulfill a promise he had made to my mother. When I was twelve, my father remarried and we plunged head first into the world of step families. At the time, it all seemed so very normal to me at the same time all the while knowing that my family was different. There were some struggles and some hard times, but that’s family. That’s my story. We all have a story, and for those of us who did not grow up in “traditional families” often have stories marked by loss, pain and longing for something we felt like we should have had.
Do you fit into any of the following categories as a kid?
- Growing up or grew up without a father?
- Growing up or grew up without a mother?
- Live or lived in single-parent home?
- Live or lived in a step-family?
- Live or lived with unmarried cohabiting parent?
- Have gay parents?
- Have step or half siblings?
- Live or lived with your grandparents?
- Live or lived with an aunt, uncle or other relative?
- Live or lived with a friends’ family?
- Growing up or grew up in foster care?
- Growing up or grew up in some other environment other than with your natural married parents?
If so, we want to hear your story and give you the opportunity to get your story out there. Please comment on this article below and share with others. Together, let’s share our stories (the good, the bad and the ugly) to help others in the same situation.
If you would rather not leave your story publicly in the comments below or want to remain anonymous, please e-mail your story to me at email@example.com.